There is a lot of buzz about 5G. Generally, many people feel that it is just an increment to 4G. However, 5G technology can offer a lot more. From connecting industries to filling the gaps between numerous digital platforms, 5G has tremendous potential.
So, when the common question arises – ‘what is 5G network?’ people need a simple answer. Thereupon, this is an effort to simplify intricate technical terms. Hopefully, by the end of this blog, you will get enlightened about 5G technology.
WHAT IS 5G TECHNOLOGY?
- 5G is the fifth generation tech in cellular networks.
- This technology eliminates majority barriers and interferences that arise during connection purposes.
- A 5G network can basically deliver higher transmission rates, better dependability and seamless experience for customers.
- Importantly, 5G technology will support the frequencies which we use already.
- Hence, as users, we won’t have to invest much. There are 5G compatible smartphones which you can definitely buy.
5G TECHNOLOGY – A TECHNICAL OVERVIEW
- The basic working concept of 5G technology is nearly the same as that of 4G.
- But, 5G network makes use of higher radio frequencies. Due to this, data is carried to previously unexplored bands.
- Thus, it can carry a greater quantity of information in less time.
- Furthermore, 5G uses more input and output devices than previous cellular networks.
- Thus, you can expect better signal and higher capacity through successful implementation of 5G technology.
- Also, the new cellular network will make use of comparatively small-sized transmitters. Hence reducing some existing challenges for carriers.
BENEFITS OF 5G NETWORK OVER 4G AND 3G
I know what you are thinking – ‘Will 5G revolutionize our daily lives too?’ The answer to this lies in the advantages of this upcoming network.
- First and foremost, 5G can improve browsing, uploading and downloading speeds on the internet.
- Due to less latency, our devices will respond faster to any command entered by a user.
- This implies you won’t have to wait longer to watch that favourite video of yours.
- Importantly, if things go good, you can expect 5G to perform more than 20 times faster than 4G.
CHALLENGES OF 5G TECHNOLOGY
Every technology faces real-life challenges. Similarly, 5G, being an ambitious cellular network, has high initial investment. This might directly impact customer budgets at the beginning.
Apart from the cost factor, some practical challenges of 5G network are:
- Remote areas can find difficulty connecting to 5G towers. Also, it might take a considerable amount of time to reach some semi-urban and rural areas.
- Theoretically, 5G can cause your devices to consume more battery power. Further, you will need a decent 5G compatible processor to support the intense bandwidth.
- At this time, some researchers have found considerable differences between upload and download speeds via 5G.
- Apart from technical challenges, 5G faces the opposition of some people.
- Although 5G won’t necessarily create havoc for nature, the production of more components for 5G towers can escalate e-waste.
- Some people believe that 5G can hamper the ecosystem due to utility of powerful network technology.
AS A REGULAR CONSUMER, WHAT SHOULD BE THE OUTLOOK TOWARDS 5G?
Amidst the ongoing 5G transition, some consumers are perplexed at this time. By all means, we often get dazed thinking of the unknown. Hence, our approach, at this time, must be, as always, purely scientific and rational.
- You should understand that mankind is always moving ahead. Hence, 5G is the next big step in the digital arena.
- As the world is getting highly dependent on internet and related activities, 5G technology will surely prove conducive.
- IoT, Industry 4.0, online businesses, etc. can get a massive boost due to 5G. Hence, many consumers can benefit from this prospect.
- Hence, as a regular customer, you can get ready by investing in a 5G compatible device.
- Importantly, smartphone companies are making 5G compatible phones at reasonable price tags.
- Even if 5G is a distant network in India, these 5G phones can support 4G and other networks.
- At this time, Indian consumers can be neutral about the idea of 5G. Since we do not know the ground performance, costing and reach in Indian areas, it is better to anticipate positive aspects.
5G NETWORK IN INDIA
At this time, 5G is available in more than 50 cities in the USA. However, Indian users will have to wait for a bit more.
Although there are talks about initiating 5G by the midterm of 2021 in India, globally, we are still late than some nations. So, you might have to keep patience for the 5G experience in India.
Nevertheless, this doesn’t mean you can’t get ready. Prominent smartphone brands like Motorola, Samsung, Apple, OnePlus, Nokia, etc. are providing multiple options to Indian customers. Hence, all you need to do is assess your average use and invest in a 5G phone.
Some well-known 5G smartphones at this time are:
- MOTO G 5G
- REALME X7 5G (Upcoming)
- ONEPLUS 8T
- APPLE IPHONE 12 SERIES
- ONEPLUS NORD
- MOTO G 5G PLUS
- SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 20 ULTRA 5G
- ASUS ROG PHONE 3
- MOTOROLA EDGE PLUS
- XIAOMI MI 10
HOW WILL 5G CHANGE THE WORLD?
The crux of 5G will be the advent of a futuristic world. You will mainly see a high level of digital integration between different products.
Here are some applications which might get better due to 5G technology:
- Autonomous vehicles.
- Virtual reality.
- Augmented reality.
- IoT (Internet of things).
- Smart devices.
THE ROAD AHEAD…..YOUR THOUGHTS
So, what are your thoughts about 5G technology? Do you feel it’s going to be a vital part of our lives? Or do you think it will just be an extension of 4G?
Do share your thoughts in the comments section. At the same time, gear up for an inevitable digital decade. Who knows you might experience a new level of convenience as a customer!